How The Light Fest Adds Magic and Inspiration to Your Travels
I love the movie Tangled. Have you seen it? If you haven’t well, don’t worry, I won’t judge. It is that charming tale of Rapunzel, but with a Disney twist. And in this movie, the royal family release lanterns in the sky each year on Rapunzel’s birthday in hopes she will return home. High hopes that is for sure. In order to avoid ruining the movie for you my wonderful readers, I shall not tell you how it ends, but what I will tell you is that the film certainly had an influence on my decision to attend the Light Fest near Ancastor Ontario.
So What Exactly is the Light Fest?
The Light Fest is a take on the traditional such festivals found in Southeast Asia with the release of biodegradable lanterns in the sky dawning wishes and dreams of attendees. It is a way of symbolically communicating with the universe in a beautiful and inspiring way. Thousands come together, thousands inscribe their hopes and dreams, and thousands release them at the same time, filling the night sky with only happy thoughts and positivity. As the book The Secret reveals, thoughts and events are influenced by the law of attraction. With the sky full of positivity, it is bound to be attracted to us all and multiply; well at least, this was one of my motives to participate in such a ceremonial event.
Want to Attend? Here are the Logistics
- The Light Fest holds events throughout the USA and Canada. Check their website for the dates of events near you.
- Tickets range from $25-55 USD depending on when you purchase the tickets and your admission price includes your lanterns, markers, key rings, live entertainment, food trucks, chance to purchase exclusive Light Fest merchandise, and the experience of a lifetime!
Light Fest Packing List
Now, with every outside event held in the evening, you are sure to require some items to make your experience as enjoyable as possible. Here is a list of essentials that we found most important in making the event enjoyable:
- Camping chairs – You don’t want to sit on the hard ground! It won’t be comfortable and isn’t good for your back, so make sure you bring some seating. We brought camping chairs and they were great. fold-up chairs are good as well. If you don’t have any, they do sell official Light Fest inflatable love seats.
- Blankets – it can get quite chilly once the sun sets! Make sure you bring a couple of blankets to keep warm!
- hats, gloves, scarf, and heavier coat – we layered up in sweaters too as even though it was the end of September, it was cooooool!
- Bottled Water – they do sell food and drinks, but we brought extra water with us.
- Snacks – food trucks are on site, however, at our event only one showed up and we were in line for upward 2 hours to get hot dogs and burgers. Sadly this wasn’t the fault of the event organizers, but instead, the food trucks themselves who bailed at the last minute. Nevertheless, come prepared with snacks!
- Camera – You don’t want to miss the finale of the event when all the lanterns are in air!
So with an event like this, many come to the rescue of the planet, the animals, and our environment. I too was concerned and did quite a bit of research to determine if the footprint left would be substantial and damaging to the beautiful Indian Reservation we were within for the lantern release. The Light Fest team have taken measures with their event in particular to make the effect on the environment literally nil. First, the lanterns themselves are made of biodegradable bamboo and organic materials. Secondly, hundreds of volunteers are recruited to clean up the inevitable mess afterward. So should any lantern be missed in the massive clean-up they will disintegrate and not harm the surrounding environment. This was reassuring as I would not have felt morally happy with my participation.
Do be cautious and alert when participating in the lantern release! It is very important to have the lanterns prepared and correctly opened in order for it to work properly. If the lantern is not fully opened and you light the square base, the sides can catch on fire. Luckily the 10,000+ people at the event knew what to do. 😉
So with the lanterns, you are able to make a wish, ask for a blessing or prayer, or share goals with the universe. The Light Fest team provide you with one lantern per person, a marker, and a key ring. Use your marker to write on your lantern your message. My husband and I wished and hoped for health, happiness, love, peace, and joy to our family and friends. Children even took it a step further and brought stencils, crayons, stickers, and ink stamps. It truly was a creative haven. What would you wish for?
At 8 pm, the moment arrived to release our lanterns in the sky. The flames lasted 2-3 mins before falling to the ground and it truly was a magical moment. Here it is in pictures….
Follow along on our Heavenly Centenary Journey and get our incredible Free Romantic Getaway Journal on the sidebar here.
Want to Shout us a Cuppa Jo? We Cannot Thank you enough and will send you a postcard from our Ontario Travels. Click here for details!
Check out our incredible Heavenly Centenary Swag in our shop!
Travelling to Canada? Don’t be a ninny and go without insurance!
Some Great Travel Supplies to add to your trip!
We were a guest of the Light Fest in Southern Ontario. All opinions are our own and were not influenced in any way.
No related posts.