Scandinave Blue Mountain is the Perfect Spa for Ultimate Serenity
Screen-free. A concept few understand or wish to understand nowadays. We the human race are so attached to technology that the idea of letting go even for an hour seems daunting. Well, for our health and sanity, we should unplug and take a step back to enjoy our surroundings. This removal of devices truly gives our brains a rest. Seems too hard? Well, don’t look any further. Scandinave Blue Mountain helps you unwind and rest your brain right in the heart of Southwestern Ontario.
The Scandinave Blue Mountain is located in Collingwood just 5 km from Blue Mountain Village. It is an outdoor spa of various wellness facilities including pools of different temperatures, hot saunas, rest areas, hammocks, massage treatments, organic cooking, and products perfect for any relaxing escape.
This year Scandinave Blue Mountain celebrated its 10th anniversary and with this incredible milestone embarked on a new venture in introducing a state of the art infrared sauna – the ultimate in detoxification and health of the 21st century. I recently spoke about yoga treatments being done on volcanic floors that are infused with infrared rays and went on to explain how these rays go deep into the body and bring out the toughest toxins in the environment. In this brand new sauna within Scandinave Spa, you can get the same benefits even with a meditation or lying down on the cedar benches for a mere 15 minutes. Sound heavenly? I certainly think so…
The Scandinave Blue Mountain Spa Experience
When someone utters the word spa to me, I instantly get excited about heading there for a retreat from the daily drudge. Scandinave Blue Mountain is a unique spa from many others as it is mainly outdoors, can be enjoyed all four seasons, and insists on a quiet and peaceful environment where even talking is required at a whisper volume if you must talk at all.
Upon arrival, do check in with the friendly staff. They will assist you with robes, water bottles (should you opt for this additional charge), towels, instructions, and a brief overview of the facilities. Before heading down to the change rooms, you will be required to sign a disclaimer. After this, prepare yourself for serenity at its finest.
Forget your cozzies or sunscreen? No problem! Scandinave Blue Mountain has beautiful swimwear for men and women and an array of sun care products at a reasonable price. As well, should you need other common amenities you can grab them here. Some offerings include water bottles, towels, bandeaus, and skincare. What makes the products here at Scandinave exceptional is their commitment to supporting local artisans and companies with their various supplies.
Next, head down to the beautiful hallway with views of the baths you are about to experience. Find your locker and change into your swimwear.
Suggested Packing List for the Utmost Experience:
- Swimsuit, bikini or trunks (men)
Pro-tip: Choose a swimsuit or pair of trunks that is older, non-label, or not one that was overly pricey as you must pin your locker key to them while in the spa area.
- Ponytail elastic for long hair- There is nothing more gross than seeing hair all over the grounds, seats, and in the water. So if you have long hair, please tie it up.
- Flip Flops – some people don’t mind walking barefoot around the spa area, but personally I find it my hygienic to wear flip flops, especially in the showers after your experience. Consider bringing a pair with you.
- Water Bottle – We bring our own refillable water bottles with us to save on the environment. If you don’t have one, you can purchase a reusable water bottle or even a Smartwater bottle from the front desk. Water is so important while in the baths as the saunas, steam room and warm pools dehydrate you.
- Sunglasses – on sunny days it is crucial to bring sunglasses for the best experience.
- Hat – if you are sensitive to the sun, or in the winter, prone to cold, do bring a hat or toque to keep your head protected and/or warm.
- Sunscreen – make sure you bring sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun. This is equally crucial in the winter as the sun rays bounce off snow!
- Magazine or book – if you are planning to relax in a hammock or around the campfire, you may want to catch up on your reading. Make sure to bring a plastic cover to protect your book from the water. Note that Kindles and other tablets are not allowed so bring along your paperback and go old school.
- Personal toiletries – The Scandinave Blue Mountain does offer shampoo, soap, body lotion, and such utensils as Q-tips, but personal items like deodorant, fragrances, medication, and feminine products you need to bring yourself. Personally ladies, I highly recommend you don’t come during that time. It will be way more enjoyable at other times of the month 😉
- Towel – you are supplied with two towels upon check-in. Take one out to the baths to use when sitting on the hot benches and possibly to use as a pillow on the hammocks.
- Your Locker Key!- This one is super important. You must pin this to your swimwear as it could fall out of a pocket or get stolen from a hanging robe.
- Cover-up- Now, many may not feel this is required as they supply robes, but I like to bring a cover up as well. An optional item, but still one you should consider.
- Bag for your wet swimwear – there is nothing worse than putting your wet swimsuit with your other items. Bring a bag with you to put your cozzies until you can hang them up when you get home.
The Pools, Saunas, and Everything Peaceful
The Scandinave Blue Mountain is a complex full of wonderful facilities promoting ultimate wellness. Once out in the screen-free quiet area, it is time to enjoy an array of pools, saunas, rest areas, and steam. From experience, I start with one of the warm pools. This pool is roughly 90 degrees F and gets your body warmed up and relaxed for the other spots. Stay in here for around 10-12 mins before heading to the eucalyptus steam room.
Head to the eucalyptus steam room after your soak in the warm pool. Here stay inside for 10 minutes to breathe in the healthy eucalyptus, detox, and feel the stress sweat off your body. Make sure you have your water bottle with you as the steam room is very warm and will dehydrate you thanks to the sweating and detoxing involved. If you need a refill, a station is just outside the door. Want to head back into the pools? Showers are located just outside the steam room for bathers to clean off sweat and steam prior to reentering the waters.
Now, not for the faint at heart (but definitely perfect for the Polar swimmers on New Years Day!), the plunge pool at 60 degrees F is great for refreshing your body and muscles. It is a bit of a shock to the system after being in such warm conditions, but proves to have such incredible health and healing benefits benefits. It is also said to be very good for the thyroid gland if you can sit in the cold temps up to your chin. Wheeee glad I have a robe to warm me up! Note, this pool is not suitable for the winter months.
This facility is a great way to detox after being in the cold plunge pool. Sit in the warm sauna with heat infused from the rocks and relax your cooled and refreshed muscles. This sauna helps with the mind and soul like the infrared minus the addition to the rays, and does get deep within the pores. Make sure for this experience you have a towel to sit on as the benches can get hot as well as a full water bottle. This sauna does dehydrate you as well.
Next after showering from the Finnish Sauna head to the hot pool heated up to 104 degrees. Don’t spend too long in here, but a good 5-8 mins will do your mind and body a whole lot of good. Keep hydrating for utmost wellness results.
Wanting to dry off after enjoying the pools and steam? Well Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain offers several places to rest the body before heading back into the grind. Enjoy dome seats, loungers, balconies with views of the pond, solariums, and beautiful hammocks perfect for catching up on that favourite book. All those rest areas are exquisite and the epitome of tranquil; however, my favourite resting spot is the campfire. Savour the wonderful aroma of burnt wood that truly calls for a fresh s’more. Read a chapter or two and close your eyes enjoying the atmosphere. Keep in mind that the outdoor resting spots are not in use during the winter, but there are covered areas perfect for the colder months.
Besides the world renowned waters and saunas, Scandinave Blue Mountain offer many other wellness-promoting services. These include:
- Swedish Massage – Registered Massage Therapists are available on site for 60 and 90 minute treatments.
- Couples Massage – Perfect for pre-wedding jitters, honeymoons, Valentine’s or for just a nice romantic experience!
- Hot Stone – This therapy is wonderful for soothing achy muscles! You seriously need to give it a try.
- Bistro – Hungry? This wonderful little eatery offers an array of organic meals, soups, sandwiches, and more straight from Thornbury. I highly recommend the squash soup…it is so good.
There is ample parking any day you wish to go. As the baths have a capacity of 120-150 guests it is best to carpool and get there as early as possible to avoid being stuck on the waiting list that is strongly enforced. The capacity is a good thing as it keeps the baths enjoyable with patrons having space and privacy to relax and truly take in the experience.
Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain Facts
Ready to enjoy the spa? Here are some impressive stats about this wonderful spot:
- The spa is 10 years old this year! How perfect for Canada 150 celebrations!
- The spa is within 25 acres of forest land, making it secluded and perfectly placed within birch and other fragrant vegetation
- It is approximately 2 hours from Toronto, making it totally accessible for anyone flying in to the Six.
- You can see the UNESCO World Heritage Niagara Escarpment
- Ope 364 days of the year and is the perfect venue for girl get togethers, mother-daughter bonding afternoons, and more.
- The spa is accommodating to both genders. Many spas as these are gender-specific.
- Cost of the pools and sauna area is $55 per bather, with “Unwind Wednesdays” being $45
- Massage treatments include access to the baths
- Swimwear is mandatory!
- If you want a massage treatment, you can book up to 4 months in advance. Spots fill up super fast it is highly recommended to book in advance.
In conclusion, I highly recommend Scandinave Blue Mountain to anyone travelling through Southern Ontario. It is convenient, reasonably priced, and an experience you can enjoy year-round. Ontario does bring such incredible excursions and wellness retreats to travellers and this one does not disappoint. Head here knowing that you will unplug, unwind, and keep quiet for a few hours. Your body will thank you and you just may become accustomed to this “Screen-free” concept.
Need help planning your romantic trip to the Blue Mountains? Get our incredible Free Honeymoon/Romantic Getaway Journal on the sidebar here.
Want to Shout us a Cuppa Jo? We Cannot Thank you enough. Click here for details!
Check out our incredible travel essentials for your next trip in our shop!
Travelling to Canada? Don’t be a ninny and go without insurance!
We were a guest of Scandinave Blue Mountain. All opinions are our own and were not influenced in any way.
No related posts.